Keeping with the roasted red pepper theme, I decided to pair them with pasta this week. The recipe could not be simpler – perfect for a busy weeknight!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
12 ounces spaghetti or linguine (see note)
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
14 ounce jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained (see note)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
a pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package directions.
- In a small skillet, sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft and browned. Use a tablespoon or two of water to loosen the brown bits that form on the bottom of the pan as it cooks and keep everything from sticking.
- Transfer the sautéed shallot and garlic to a blender and add the roasted peppers, almond milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes, if using. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once you pasta is done, drain and set it aside. Place the blended red pepper sauce in the pot you used to cook the pasta in and heat it over medium heat. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cooked noodles to the thickened sauce. Toss to coat the pasta with the luscious sauce. Serve, garnished with chopped fresh basil.
Notes: My current favorite pasta is an einkorn wheat pasta made by Jovial. It has this incredible nutty taste and an awesome texture. Make it paleo or gluten free by substituting zucchini “noodles” for the pasta. If you don’t have any jarred red bell peppers on hand, you can substitute two roasted red bell peppers for the jar of roasted peppers.